Monday, March 2, 2015

What NOT to Buy at Thrift Stores!

     As I've mentioned before in earlier posts thrift stores encompass a little bit of everything including clothing, accessories, jewelry, toys, books, music, housewares items, etc. Most of the time the purchases you make at thrift stores are items that are in fairly good condition which is an indication that the item is rather sturdy, withstood the first user and passed the thrift store's standards. However even though an item passed the store's standards doesn't mean you should purchase it. 
     According to plain common sense and an article on BuzzFeed there are a few specific items that one should not ever buy from a thrift store. Most of these items have been intimately handled by previous owners and are therefore items that you should shell out money for and buy in mint condition. 
     In my opinion, the key items that shouldn't be bought in a second-hand store are the following:

1. Undergarments: bras, underwear and socks
2. Bathing suits
3. Mattresses, Pillows and Used Bedding
4. Makeup
5. Wigs
6. Stuffed Animals
7. Games with Missing Pieces
8. Bowling Shoes

Link: Thrift Shop Items You Should Never Buy

10 comments:

  1. I think it's funny that you can't buy bowling shoes from thrift stores since hundreds of people wear the ones at the bowling alley :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No one will never convince me that buying underwear from a thrift store is a good idea. I have no idea why they would even accept those items. Blegh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No one will never convince me that buying underwear from a thrift store is a good idea. I have no idea why they would even accept those items. Blegh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hopefully these items come as common sense for most individuals considering thrifting, particularly the bras and undergarments. I definitely try to steer clear of bras in thrift stores! Like Marrisa said...Blegh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah you'd think people would have enough common sense to steer clear but I'm sure a lot of them don't. But at the end of the day it's their decision.

      Delete
  5. I knew a girl who would buy undergarments at thrift stores and I was like WHAT ARE YOU DOING JUST BUY NEW UNDERWEAR. I don't care how many times you wash it before wearing it, you are still wearing USED PANTIES. EW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah some things just can't be washed enough times. Nonetheless there are still many items that can be purchased from a thrift store without any worry.

      Delete
  6. I thought underwear and wigs were bad...and then I saw bowling shoes... *sigh

    ReplyDelete
  7. YOU TOOK THE WORDS RIGHT OUT OF MY MOUTH! I once had to argue why buying under garments and bedding from a thrift store was bad with a girl. She just didn't get it, so after about 10 minutes of explaining how unsanitary it is, I finally gave up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most people just don't realize all the cross-contamination that takes place. Basic clothing is a different story because those items can be washed. However you can't wash a wig or make-up.

      Delete