Monday, February 9, 2015

Trendy Jammin'

     It has become evident within the last couple years that shopping at thrift stores and wearing vintage clothes has become a much more popular option than what it used to be. When the smash hit "Thrift Shop", by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis, was released in summer 2012 I knew thrift stores were coming back in style! With it's hilarious lyrics, the song portrays all the benefits and truths behind shopping at second-hand stores. 
     After doing a bit of research regarding this hip hop tune, I discovered that Macklemore and I share a mutual interest in saving money by purchasing secondhand clothing and accessories and we also share a mutual disdain for over-priced designer labels. This song is a revelation about the amount of money you can save while still having a style that's all your own. By shopping at thrift stores you will never have to be paranoid about running into someone who is wearing the same outfit as you. You will be completely unique! 

Below is a YouTube lyric video of "Thrift Shop" -- Don't worry, it's the clean version. As a fellow thrift shopper the lyrics that stuck out the most were the following:

"I'm gonna pop some tags, only got twenty dollars in my pocket."

"They be like Oh that Gucci, that's hella tight. I'm like yo, that's fifty dollars for a t-shirt. Limited edition, let's do some simple addition. Fifty dollars for a t-shirt, that's some ignorant ___ ___. I call that getting swindled and pimped, ___. I call that gettin' tricked by a business, that shirts hella dough and having the same one as six other people in the club is a hella don't." 

 "I wear your granddad's clothes, I look incredible. I'm in that big ___ coat from that thrift shop down the road." 

Overall, this song is a suitable representation of the complete concept of thrift shopping and all the benefits related to it. Enjoy rockin' out!   



Link: "Thrift Shop" by Macklemore

2 comments:

  1. All I had to read was the first line and it's already stuck in my head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew when I started this blog that I wanted to dedicate a post to the terrific song that got the world hooked on the idea of thrifting.

      Delete